Arguments of function as out

Birgit Rahm br_y at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 4 08:43:19 EDT 2003

Hallo Alex,
I hope this posting is near to the netiquette.

> Birgit, you do not seem to have *READ* the answer to which you are
> replying.
I dont understood this in the you described it.

> >> * If there is more than one result value, all of them are packed into a
> >>   tuple, and this tuple is returned.
I've read this, but I thought that this tuple is returned with the
return statement. I am new to python and I never seen such
a constract:

> Very well then,
> according to the Python language binding which Piet quoted to you,
> from the point of view of the Python client code calling X, X is
> returning a tuple which packs the three result values!
>
> So, you call it as:
>
>     a, b, c = X()
>
> and that's all!  Note you do NOT pass arguments corresponding to
> out parameters (you DO pass arguments corresponding to in and inout
> parameters, if any); you get result values corresponding to the
> function's nonvoid return if any (none here) followed by all out
> and inout parameters.

I have had only the IDL  and the py File from the IDL,
were stand take *args and return the return value.
In none of my python books such a construct is described. I'm sorry.

Thanks for helping me,
Birgit