"Python Redesign" (fwd)

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Sep 7 20:58:46 EDT 2003

<tim at pollenation.net> wrote:
|2) as an image created in fireworks, I expected line spacing to honor
|html spacing. It doesn't however so I've fixed it.

I don't know what 'fireworks' is, I suppose it must be some kind of design
application.  But I figured the image was a screenshot of a rendered
page... if not, it indeed might appear a bit different as rendered in an
actual browser.

|1) it's an image

You keep writing this; not just to me, but on c.l.py too.  I can't quite
figure out what relevance you perceive this fact to have.

|2) images don't have font tags

Nope... but screenshot images can be made of browsers displaying pages
with font tags.  I was guessing in the negative that your page was
produced (indirectly) from such an HTML document; but perhaps no HTML was
ever involved.

|3) haven't got a clue what you mean about it fairing badly with css
|dropped and fonts and colours changed. Name me a site that would.

I don't remember a URL offhand, since those are--almost by definition
--sites I do not visit more than once.  But, for example, I find some
pages choose absurdly small font sizes for various elements; which makes
me very happy that I use Mozilla, which has an option for "minimum font
size".  It doesn't seem always to work, I still sometimes see tiny fonts
(I dunno how they get by Moz exactly, maybe Javascript or something).
But more often, once the fonts are forced to a readable size, the layout
becomes almost unreadable.  Sometimes different texts render on top of
each other (I think because of the <layers> tag, but it could be something
else).  Or other times, a text box winds up with one word per line once a
readable font is used.

Your demo looks a lot like one of those types of sites.  It's hard to be
sure exactly how it might render if no HTML was ever involved in the
design though.

|2) The site has to reflect the expectations of commercial customers who
|are used to the likes of peoplesoft and atg, etc.

I suppose.  I'm probably not a "commercial customer", whatever that is...
on the other hand, I *am* probably the most widely read writer on Python
topics, worldwide (a lot more people read free developerWorks articles
than buy books; although a good number bought my book too).  I suppose
Andy Kuchling gets widely read with his "What's New in ..." and other
articles, so maybe more read him.

|3) it's an image. Images don't stretch. If I make it any bigger it would
|not fit in 800 wide browsers.

Then it should BE an image, not an HTML page that creates framing elements
but embeds an image in the middle in a way that hides what's an image and
what's HTML.  If you had taken that more sensible approach, no one on
c.l.py would have missed that fact they were looking at an image.

I reckon you'd be a lot better off taking the near unanimous criticism of
your design seriously than you will be indignantly protesting about the
fact your design is an image.  I think I'd recommend that even if I
understood why you think the image thing is relevant.

Yours, David...