unique unions of several dict keys

Paul Osman posman at eval.ca
Mon Sep 15 18:03:46 CEST 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 python at sarcastic-horse.com wrote:

> Hi-
> I have several different dictionaries.  I want to make a unique list of
> all the keys in all the dictionaries.  What would be the best way of doing
> that?
> Thanks.

well, I'm sure there's a number of ways, here's one:

def unique(keys):
    unique = []
    for i in keys:
        if i not in unique: unique.append(i)
    return unique

a = {"name" : "paul", "age" : 22}
b = {"name" : "paul", "location" : "toronto"}

list = unique(a.keys() + b.keys())
print list

I'm sure there's a better way, but you get the idea. play around with it.

Paul Osman
posman at eval.ca

"Idealists...foolish enough to throw caution
  to the winds...have advanced mankind and have
  enriched the world."
         - Emma Goldman