Open Source leader? (was Re: Celebrity advice)

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Sep 4 16:49:37 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:27:57 -0700, Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts.net> wrote:

>Quoting John J. Lee (jjl at pobox.com):
>> aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
>>
>> > In article <Kv-cnVDMbb1qmdOiRTvUqg at speakeasy.net>,
>> [...]
>> > OTOH, Perens is also (like me ;-) a self-described asshole.  When I saw
>> > him at the Waterside Conference earlier this year, he basically claimed
>> > that only assholes could make significant progress in the Open Source
>> > community.
>> [...]
>>
>> Why?
>
>I think the sentiment is just a variant on the "politicians always
>lie" theme. Open source is socio-political, and so it's the
>charismatics that succeed. "Asshole" is one manifestation of a strong
>personality.
I don't believe that. IMO the most obnoxious manifestations of "asshole"-ness
are due to *weak* personalities using powerful positions to over-compensate ;-/

An assertive maverick is not necessarily an "asshole" in my book, though
those threatened by such a personality will often be quick with that label.
(Note that assertiveness != bullying. Bullying is a hallmark behavior of "asshole"-hood).

Regards,
Bengt Richter