Writing solid code book

Asun Friere afriere at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 00:42:20 EDT 2003

Jules Dubois <bogus at invalid.tld> wrote in message news:<1dk5tt7q6acwf$.rcboqaop39ha.dlg at 40tude.net>...
> On 03 Sep 2003 13:58:00 +0100, John J. Lee wrote:
>
> > The Python Cookbook is the first book I'd have on my list if I were
> > learning Python now (O'Reilly, eds. Martelli & Ascher).
>
> That's the only Python book you think worth having?  Or buying?

It's a great book, but IMHO it isn's a suitable introduction to the
language.
'Learning Python' by Lutz & Ascher is a gentle introduction (very much
the Python
equivalent of Schwartz and Christiansen's 'Learning Perl'), but is
sadly out of date.

On the other hand Alex Martelli's 'Python in a Nutshell' (see
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonian/) is certainly worth buying
and having, and, if you have some experience in programming, is also a
good (if terse) introduction.  Check out the free sample chapter and
make up your own mind.