Comments on Python Redesign

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Sep 7 09:44:15 EDT 2003

Tim Parkin wrote:

> As a side note, I haven't been to any school of 'control the user
> experience'. Furthermore I think making comments such as accusing me of
> having a 'childish ego' and being 'arrogant' are IMO extremely
> disrespectful and I would appreciate an apology. I am quite hurt and
> dissapointed to see such coments on what I had considered a respectable
> forum for discussion although I'm sure they are not representative.

On behalf of those with the nasty fingers today, I apologize.  Tim,
they must have missed the relatively clear warnings that these
are *mockups*, and posted for discussion purposes.  I agree also
that harsh public criticism without constructive comments is
wholly unwarranted, and out of order around here, not to mention
(thankfully) rather atypical.

Heck, I *have* read several books on horrible web page design, and
have a background that includes a fair bit of typography and related
study and work, and I didn't think the pages were bad.  I'm a
little stunned by the hyperbolic comments.

Maybe the pages aren't felt to be appropriate for *Python*'s web
site, or maybe on certain screens the colours or sizes don't look
quite right, but at least somebody is trying something(*), and
I hope you'll be able to rise above the negativism and stick it out
long enough to find any comments which truly merit consideration.

-Peter

(*) Personally, I never thought the existing site was a big problem,
but then I just view the web as a simple way to search for text
and I still use Netscape 4.7 much of the time, so I'm obviously not
the target for these improvements...