ANN: The release of BlackAdder V1.0.0 - this time for real :))

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Thu Sep 18 09:05:44 EDT 2003

At 05:48 PM 9/17/2003, Lothar Scholz wrote:
>[snip]
>i hope that there support for the program is better then the support
>for their website. Everything in the last weeks doesn't look very promising.

I sat yesterday with a friend going thru the latest version's tutorial.
theKompany did not effectively test the tutorial. (Meaning act as a total
newcomer and follow the instructions literally.) The number of errors is
high (what IS an acceptable error count?). We had to guess, backtrack,
experiment to get through. This raises the cost of ownership.

The UI did not always perform as one would expect or desire.

The editor leaves a lot to be desired (auto-indent, parentheses matching,
cursor at end of line after click, pane splitter, ...). If any of these
features are present, the tutorial gave no clue as to how to access them. I
had hoped to move from PythonWin to BA, but the PythonWin editor is so
superior I guess I'll use the BA editor just for Qt-related code.

The main.py module generator created code that threw an exception.

I wonder what process theKompany uses for proofing documentation. The
process is obviously not effective.

I opened a bug on the BA Mantis system to report the existence of some
non-Python code in the PyQt Docs. The response was, in effect, "where do
you see this", and the bug was closed so I could not even answer the
question. I'd like to think that their document review process would catch
these problems.

I wonder whether they have any kind of usability lab where their designers
get to sit with some of us developers and see what needs to be changed in
the UI.

I am confused when they ask for feedback and then do not respond to it in
an effective manner.

Bob Gailer
bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
303 442 2625