built with --enable-shared but get error: libpython2.3.so.1.0: can't open shared object file

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Sep 4 15:41:25 CEST 2003

turner at mmedia.is (Douglass Turner) writes:

> Please release me from my own private hell.

OK, just install the non-shared library build.

> Platform: SuSE 8.1
> I'm installing python 2.3 tarball as follows:
> ./configure --enable-shared
> make
> make install
> When I simply type:
> % python
> I get:
> python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0:
> This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in
> /usr/local/lib.

Is that in /etc/ld.so.conf?  Maybe you should set LD_LIBRARY_RUN_PATH
(or whatever it's called).

> Interestingly this is outside PYTHONHOME. How do I fix this silly
> problem (which the python install process should *never* let happen
> in the first place).

Unclear what Python can do.  If you want to install a shared library
somewhere that the system doesn't look for it by default, you have to
do something to get it to look there.  I guess there's probably some
way of putting an absolute path in the executable, but that leads to
its own form of entertainment (like, I would imagine, not being able
to run the interpreter until you install it).

  It could be argued that since Suitespot is infinitely terrible,
  that anything else, by very definition of being anything else,
  is infinitely superior.                -- ".", alt.sysadmin.recovery