Open Source leader? (was Re: Celebrity advice)

Cliff Wells logiplex at
Wed Sep 3 00:51:41 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 15:09, John J. Lee wrote:
> aahz at (Aahz) writes:
> > In article <Kv-cnVDMbb1qmdOiRTvUqg at>,
> [...]
> > OTOH, Perens is also (like me ;-) a self-described asshole.  When I saw
> > him at the Waterside Conference earlier this year, he basically claimed
> > that only assholes could make significant progress in the Open Source
> > community.
> [...]
> Why?

I think it's a less eloquent version of the George Bernard Shaw quote:

"A reasonably thinking man expects to adapt to nature.  An unreasonably
thinking man expects nature to adapt to him. Thus, all progress is made
by unreasonable men."

Substitute "asshole" for "unreasonable" and the sentiment is similar.

Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (
(503) 978-6726  (800) 735-0555