newbie question on which win32 GUI to choose

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 5 14:51:03 EDT 2003

    Cameron> experience inclines me to the former.  I've found pyGTK
    Cameron> too immature under Win*.  The people who claim success
    Cameron> with it are, from what I can tell, those who benefit from
    Cameron> consider- able prior GTK+ work.  --

I haven't found this.  I've written two applications in pygtk2 and one
plotting library that run with no alterations on linux and win32, and
I had no prior GTK+ experience, or any GUI experience for that matter.

As for immaturity, the gimp runs under windows, and I *think* pygtk
can do just about anything gtk can do, hence it's a pretty
sophisticated toolkit under windows.  What aspects do you find
immature?

And glade-2 is a nice RAD tool that runs under linux and win32.

Here are a couple of screenshots of a pygtk app using VTK that runs on
win32 and linux

http://nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/summer/jdh/image_reader.png
http://nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/summer/jdh/loc3djr_shot3.png

John Hunter