Redesign of Python site

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Sep 9 13:56:13 EDT 2003

"A.M. Kuchling" wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:36:01 -0400,
>         Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> > I think that's a distinct improvement, although I'd suggest putting
> > the Documentation section (in the sidebar) _first_ rather than second
> > after the Versions section.
>
> Really?  I envision people wanting information on a specific version first,
> only later going to the more generic items under "documentation".

I suppose it depends a lot on which group we're trying to optimize for.
I was thinking of newcomers, especially people we want to send to python.org
so they will stop asking FAQs.  The closer the intro stuff is to the top,
provided it's a small set of links, the better, in my view.

I can see the case you make as well.

Ah, now I see that you misinterpreted my first comment, which was not
actually suggesting moving those two links to the very top, but merely
moving the FAQ link to just under the "What is" link, where the latter
used to be.

The best discoveries are often accidents: I like what you've done.  I
say keep the "versions" section right where you've got it, with the other
two above like that.  Excellent!

> > (You mention different top navbar links but they look the same to
> > me, if you're talking about the Home/Search/Download stuff at the top.)
>
> Oh, I'm an idiot and dropped an old version of the page on top of it.
> Updated now, at same URL as before.  The navbar changes are: 1) dropping
> SIGs and Help, 2) adding a not-yet-written "Contact us" page and a link to
> the site map.

Looks good, too.

Not that this point is necessarily worth considering, but I note that
my brain perceived several of the vertically stacked pairs of links in
that top navbar _together_, leading to a fraction of a second of confusion.
They appeared to read "Download documentation", "Developers community",
and "Search Site map".  The old ones are even weirder when read this way:
"Search Developers" and "Download Community"! :-)  Perhaps a tiny bit of
visual cruft to separate these would be worth considering, like maybe a
bullet in front of each, or square brackets, or more vertical space.
(Yeah, I'm really picking nits with this one. :-)

-Peter