Tkinter Text widget getting too slow

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Sep 3 19:32:16 EDT 2003

janeaustine50 at hotmail.com (Jane Austine) writes:

> As you add more items, say text lines, in Text widget, it gets too
> slow and almost impractical to use on. Take idle for example. If the
> text gets bigger(e.g. print
[...]

> Is there any way to speed up Text widget, or should I look for another
> GUI library?

I'm surprised that you're having trouble with it, actually, but:

How about something like Scintilla?  I'm not sure about wx and Tk, but
Scintilla is available for GTk and Qt, IIRC (the latter is a port,
called QScintilla).  There might well be something similar for wx or
Tk.  Or maybe the standard Qt or GTk text widgets are themselves more
scalable than their wx or Tk counterparts -- no idea.

If you specifically want a Python shell, I think eric3 uses
QScintilla, so there should be code in there you can use.

John