python module for MS SQL Server 7 or 2000?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon Sep 8 02:40:17 EDT 2003

Y2KYZFR1 wrote:
> Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> wrote in message news:<mailman.1062962816.30157.python-list at python.org>...
>
>>Y2KYZFR1 wrote:
>>
>>>I have searched and only found references to using ODBC or some
>>>ancient posts about some ancient sybase library under linux, neither
>>>of which meets my critiera. [...]
>>
>>Tried Google? Doesn't look like so:
>>
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=python%20ms%20sql%20server
>
> yes and nothing meets my criteria. I need something that is stable and
> cross platform without any dependancies on any other libraries or
> depenacny on linux

Huh? The first hit can be built against the FreeTDS library, and you can
have commercial support for it. Your point "no dependency on any other
libraries" is just not practical for a database adapter, because then
the database adapter would have to implement the database's wire
protocol in pure Python. Well, it's possible, but it's not been done yet
, at least for MS SQL. Oh, and this other DB-API module that
communicates to MS SQL server using its XML protocol, that would meet
*this* requirement. Dunno how stable it is, though.

-- Gerhard