Starting point for unicode conversion

Howard Lightstone howard at eegsoftware.com
Thu Sep 4 23:10:17 EDT 2003

I *foolishly* started a Python project (3 years ago) with considering
Unicode issues.  Now, I want to resolve future problems with international
versions of my software.

The key point here is Tkinter.  I believe (from reading this list) that I
can expect that SOME returned text may be Unicode (depending on content and
Windows locale settings).

Would it be best to just (somehow) force all text into Unicode or would it
be "better" to handle specific instances?

I also have the problem of embedded text in data files I create that I have
to store as *something* that I can fully recover and convert back to
something reasonable even if the locale changes.

Any thoughts welcome .... this is something I am NOT looking forward to.

Thanks