Web server with Python

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Thu Sep 11 20:19:50 EDT 2003

Thomas Weholt wrote:

[snip]

> Twisted is very easy to get a grip on if you stay away from Woven
> and use the resource-class yourself. I can produce a very simple
> example if you like. I find Twisted to have a very steep learning
> curve in some areas and the project do have a feeling being "under
> construction", but the developers/mailing-list are very friendly
> and helpful and glad for input.

The Twisted mailing list has been down for a few days.  They're
moving.

To get Twisted, check:

    http://www.twistedmatrix.com/

I agree with the positive comments about Twisted.

The Twisted documentation seems pretty good and fairly extensive.
And, for Web applications, here is a document I've written that
might help you to get started:

    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/twisted_patterns.html

I've checked this document carefully myself, but have not yet been
able to get any Twisted experts to review it yet (again, the email
list is down temporarily), so "reader beware".

Twisted is more than Web apps, by the way.

[snip]

> MySQL is easy to work with using Python, so yes. My experience
> with ZODB has not been good. I had problems compiling earlier
> version of it ( probably my fault but still ) and I quickly found
> out that I needed SQL to be able to store and retrieve data the
> way I wanted. If MySQL is too much for you take a look at SQLite,
> it has a python-module and easy to install/distribute and it is a
> "real" sql-database, ie. it can understand SQL and feels like a
> SQL-database.

PostgreSQL also seems to work well with Twisted.  See my document
(mentioned above) for code examples on using PostgreSQL (or other
relational databases, with minor changes) with Twisted.

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman
http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman