Python Documentation?

Steven Taschuk staschuk at
Mon Sep 1 07:04:28 CEST 2003

Quoth Daniel R. Smorey Jr.:
> I'm looking for a good place for Python documentation.  I'm really lost
> on why it's so hard to find anything when it comes to me looking up a
> particular function in Python.  My example would be the split() function
> of the string module.  [...trouble searching for it at]

For full-text searches, try <>.

For functions and whatnot, there's the index of the Library
Reference, <>.

> Most of those hits are for the re module, not the string module (which
> in my opinion should be part of python and not a module, but I digress).

Indeed, in sufficiently recent Pythons (2.0+, I think), split() is
a method of string objects:
    >>> 'foo bar'.split()
    ['foo', 'bar']
Likewise for many other functions in the string module.

(This method is the second hit for "split" at, and is
listed in the Library Reference index.)

Steven Taschuk             "The world will end if you get this wrong."
staschuk at     -- "Typesetting Mathematics -- User's Guide",
                                 Brian Kernighan and Lorrinda Cherry