Python Documentation?

Dan Thrue rummanddan_nospam at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:39:06 EDT 2003

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <Xns93E975FCE1E58godlarz at 62.243.74.162>,
> Larz  <lp at your-pants-coder.dk> wrote:
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
>
>>Dan and I are long time php programmers. One thing that is superb about
>>php, is it's online documentation that everyone in the community can
>>contribute to (not the actual documentation, just comments with
>>examples).
>>
>>Every since I first started using python, I've truly missed a
>>documentation source similar to that of PHP's. So Dan and I have started
>>our little project to make a documentation site in the spirit of that
>>documentation.
>
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> PHP's documentation has indeed been a great success as a
> collaborative adventure.
>
> Python already has a structure--and much content!--for
> comparable collaboration in <URL: http://
> www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/ >.  Moreover, as several
> follow-ups have explained, Python developers have differ-
> ent work practices than PHPers, and a different relation
> to documentation.  In particular, it's hard to overempha-
> size how much working Python programmers depend on
> interactive introspection:  use of the interpreter's
> built-in help, pydoc, and related facilities to discover
> and confirm details that, in PHPonia, are regarded as
> matters for online documentation.

Hi Cameron,

Thank for your feedback, i personally uses pydoc when im in need of
documentation, but sometimes i have been in such situations where code
snippets was necessary for me. The background for this project is to
gain a great database public of snippets hooked in a structure that is
easily for all to use, novice as well as expert.

Maybe its the way i think, but i understand and learn a lot faster
(better?) when the the theory is put into practice.

At my daily work im a .net programmer, and the documentation im using
there is also "practice based". Im not a theoretic person, and I think
there is a lot like myself out there :)

Best Regards
Dan