My future Python IDE article

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Tue Sep 9 13:47:02 EDT 2003

Tom Lee <tl_nntp at webcrumb.com> wrote previously:
|JEdit is fantastic.  No matter what language I use it for, it never
|goes against the grain of my programming style.

I wrote off-list to the OP:

  As am I. jEdit is my editor on my PowerBook.  Everything from my
  articles and book, to Python, to XML, to C, to other languages.  It's
  not quite as fast as "native" code (at least on OSX1.2/Java1.4), but
  it does have nicely configurable keystrokes.  (I sometimes get
  "freezeups" for a second or two, which interupt my workflow).

  I confess that I've never really used the Jython feature, even though
  I have it installed.  I still write code in jEdit, but run it in
  Terminal.

Maybe I will include it in my roundup; it's hard to say what counts as
an IDE, but jEdit is helpful in many ways.

FWIW, even though I think this thread is generally useful for c.l.py
readers, for my article specifically, I am unlikely to evaluate any
Windows products.  I have one older Win98r2 laptop, but I haven't
touched it since tax time, and don't really like to touch Windows.

My main desktop is OS/2; I realize I won't find much for that, except
the Java tools.  But my main laptop is a Mac, which is probably where
I'll test.  However, I may decide to use my Linux or FreeBSD machines to
test specific tools, if needed.  Still, I have been very pleased to find
that 95% of the Free Software tools that interest me compile fine on OSX
(while I avoid 90% of the configuration/dependency nightmares I've grown
to fear in Linux).

Yours, David...

--
mertz@  | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net!  All the
gnosis  | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy