Eureka! (Re: Comments on Python Redesign)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Sep 9 11:45:19 EDT 2003

    Bengt> I guess it wouldn't be too hard to set up a cgi url on
    Bengt> python.org, if desired, to do two-step redirection -- i.e., you'd
    Bengt> pass it a small string and it would look up the URL and generate
    Bengt> a minimal html page with a plain url link in it, e.g.,

Not difficult, no.  I guess I lost the original thread (in my head at
least).  What's the Python benefit here?  If a CGI redirector was installed
on www.python.org I'd want some assurances that it couldn't be subverted.
The only way I can see that happening is if it only redirects to a small set
of well known (to the webmasters) sites: www.python.org, mail.python.org,
starship.python.net, www.zope.org, etc.  Americans are a litigious bunch.
If some evildoer generated a tiny url using your proposed feature which led
to a porn site and posted it where young kids could find it, I doubt you'd
have to wait long before some outraged parent sued the PSF.

With 280 million people there are bound to be a few assholes.

Skip