Thoughts on PEP315

Tim Rowe tim at remove_if_not_spam.digitig.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 12:50:11 EDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:02:47 +0100, Stephen Horne
<$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$@$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk> wrote:

>This would be a nightmare for the parser - until it finds the colon or
>end-of-line (or semicolon perhaps) it simply wouldn't know which case
>it was dealing with.
>
>But if this is bad for the parser, just think what it would do to
>users! - forgetting a trailing semicolon shouldn't result in a
>statement which is legal yet with a significantly different meaning.

That's why I don't like it in Perl and Ruby -- I can tell it's hard
for the parser because so few syntax highlighters get it right!

Maybe I'm getting twitchy about nothing -- after all, indentation
being significant brough back unhappy memories of FORTRAN, but Python
makes it work...