Debug python programs

erick_bodine at attbi.com erick_bodine at attbi.com
Fri Sep 12 11:26:51 EDT 2003

I have found a combination of the logging and optparse modules to be a
very effective alternative to #1 (Both come standard with 2.3 or you
can download/install them yourself).  That way I just hand my script
--debug, sprinkle my code where I want with log.debug("message") and
voila! I get debug messages and the code looks much cleaner.

I can also do the same with whatever modules I create and import by
calling getLogger() at the top of the module
ie. log = logging.getLogger("auto_test")

import logging
from optparse import OptionParser

p = OptionParser()
p.add_option("", "--debug", action="store_const", const=1, default=0,
            dest="debug", help="Print out debug information")

log = logging.getLogger("auto_test")
handler = logging.StreamHandler()

if opts.debug == 1:
    log.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)
    format = logging.Formatter("%(asctime)s %(levelname)-3s
[%(module)s:%" \
                                "(lineno)d] %(message)s")
else:
    log.setLevel(logging.INFO)
    format = logging.Formatter("%(asctime)s %(levelname)-3s
%(message)s")

handler.setFormatter(format)
log.addHandler(handler)

Gotta love the snake!