safari (was Re: Writing solid code book)

post400 post400 at prontomail.com
Thu Sep 4 10:05:08 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message news:<elC5b.11632$hE5.410636 at news1.tin.it>...
> Jules Dubois wrote:
>
> > On 03 Sep 2003 13:58:00 +0100, John J. Lee wrote:
> >
> >> The Python Cookbook is the first book I'd have on my list if I were
> >> learning Python now (O'Reilly, eds. Martelli & Ascher).
> >
> > That's the only Python book you think worth having?  Or buying?
>
> Speaking as both the co-editor of the Cookbook and the author of the
> Nutshell, if I had to choose ONE Python book "worth having or buying"
> I think I'd go for the Nutshell.  Hard decision, though.
>
> Fortunately you don't have to choose "sight unseen".  You can join
> O'Reilly's "Safari" online-books service: it's for-pay, but you DO
> get a couple of weeks free access, giving you time to examine all
> of the 15 Python books they have available for online reading -- on
> the basis of how you like what you see, you may then decide to
> purchase any one of them -- or even, if you don't like any of them
> well enough, to purchase none of them and go with the other ones
> you can access in entirely free ways off the net.
>
> In the past, I made my choices about what books to purchase mostly
> by browsing books at a bookstore.  Half an hour per book might
> mean a full day's worth of browsing to choose among 15 of them,
> and yet not give me a solid enough basis for choosing.  Now I can
> spend 2 or 3 hours examining each book's contents in a more
> convenient setting, and in a weekend plus a couple evenings make
> my choice on a much more solid basis.  Even ignoring safari's many
> other advantages, just as a book-choosing device it's superb!-)
>

> Alex

Hi,

yes Safari seems ok , you get a few days for free to browse but it's
not totally free.I think the electronic version should be free.Some
people offer their books for free , Bruce Eckel for example and his
Thinking in Java which seems to be a good book.Maybe more writers
should do the same !

bye,
post400