Checking if the computer is online

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Tue Sep 23 05:05:39 EDT 2003

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Thomas Bellman wrote:

>>Or perhaps you should tell us *why* you believe you need to check
>>if the computer is connected to the Internet or not.  Then we can
>>go directly to telling you that it is a bad idea, and suggest what
>>you should do instead. <0.5 wink>

*I* would like to use it to run a service in the background on my
Windows machine checking the machines ip adress perhaps once an hour,
and if it was different than it is supposed to be, it should send an
email to my mail adress containing the time and the ip adress.

That should make it possible to make a stolen computer "phone home" with
enough data to track it down.

But if it tries to call up on a modem, it has sort of given itself up.
An the new "owner" might get suspicious.

regards Max M