Sound, time and platform issues

anton muhin antonmuhin.REMOVE.ME.FOR.REAL.MAIL at rambler.ru
Wed Sep 17 13:11:34 EDT 2003

Hello everybody!

I need advice and expertise of the community for the following problem.

I'm going to make a psycholinguistic experiment. In this experiment the
auditor is asked to listen to some text and to press the button when
some event occurs. I need to find out reaction time on different inputs
and, therefore, I need 1) rather accurate (or, at least, constantly
biased) estimates for the moment the button was pressed, and 2)
"real-time" sound playing.

Googling finds out several Python toolkits for dealing with sound, but
they are for Linux, not Windows.

Therefore questions:
1. Does anybody know about Python tools that might help to solve the
problem above for Windows?
2. Is there any C/C++ solution? (in this case I might provide Python
bindings).
3. If there is no Windows solution, what is the simplest way to use
Linux? I have a notebook and rather limited knowledge of Linux. I don't
want to install Linux on the notebook---harddrive is somewhat limited.
However, I heard that there are some variants of *nix that needs only
boot-CD. Does anybody have experience with systems like these?

Sorry for a bunch of questions and thank you in advance.

With best regards,
anton.