RELEASED Python 2.3.1

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Sep 25 14:38:23 EDT 2003

Dave Brueck <dave at pythonapocrypha.com> writes:

> venster.pycb (82k)
> main.pycb (15k)
>
> Under 100KB is not bad for a GUI app! :)
>
> The .pycb format is basically ZIP + AES encryption, and pycb uses the new
> import hooks in 2.3 to handle it. The encryption is just to keep honest
> people out; anybody with the right combination of smart and bored could
> figure out how to circumvent it.

I have also experimented with importing encrypted .pyo files, but my
short experiments so far didn't give sufficient speed. Only the a simple
string.translate() or the rotor module with one permutation didn't slow
down the import by several orders of magnitude. What decryption rates do
you get?

Thomas