Custom Execution from Python

satish skchim0 at engr.uky.edu
Sat Sep 20 08:21:20 EDT 2003

Hello peter,

Thanks for responding. I will think through my problem again and present it in
the best possible form shortly. However, in a nutshell, what I need to do is
*EXECUTE A PYTHON MODULE WITH A SHELL SCRIPT PROVIDED BY AN EXTERNAL PROGRAM,
FROM WITHIN PYTHON*

The name of the script is *ansyscust71* which is a shell script provided by a
Finite Element software called ANSYS.  ANSYS provides a number of
customization features, as a part of which, it allows users to write fortran
codes using ANSYS's internal functions/methods and execute the corresponding
*shared modules* using the following command.

$ ansyscust71 -custom cable -p ANSYSRF

ANSYS EXECUTES SUCCESFULLY

However, initially when I did'nt know of the above command,  I executed
*cable* as follows :

$ ./cable

ANSYS EXECUTED
Segmentation Fault

Later I did use the right command as I mentioned above, which made my module
execute succesfully.

*cable* is a shared module which I got after *making* my fortran code viz.
*ansys.F90*  by linking it with *ANSYS libraries* using a *Makefile* that I
wrote for the purpose

After this, I intended to do the same thing from python. I wrapped my fortran
code *ansys.F90* using F2PY(Fortran to Python Interface Generator), with
which many of the python users are familiar. I got a python module named
*cable_f2py* succesfully.

          Sample *ansys.F90*

 SUBROUTINE ansys()
 cmd='START_OF_ANSYS'
 ncommand=len_trim(cmd)
 where=mainan(ncommand,cmd)
 END SUBROUTINE ansys

This is just a part of *ansys.F90* which initializes ANSYS upon execution

From python I execute the module as follows :

>> import cable_f2py     %cable is a python module generated by F2PY
>> cable_f2py.ansys()

ANSYS EXECUTED
Segmentation fault

$

ANSYS gets initialized succesfully. However, I get a segmentation fault at the
end and PYTHON skips the execution from that point and transfers control to
the command prompt.

If you remember, the same thing happened when I tried to execute *cable* as
*./cable* initially when I did'nt use F2PY to generate the Python module

Precisely, this is my problem.

Does this help you to help me ??

Thanks for your time and patience in advance,

Regards,
Satish

--
SATISH KUMAR CHIMAKURTHI
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Email: skchim0 at engr.uky.edu
Mobile: 859-312-8425

Vice-President
American Institute Of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Student Chapter
University Of Kentucky