RAD with Python

P at draigBrady.com P at draigBrady.com
Fri Sep 12 09:52:34 EDT 2003

Ubaidullah Nubar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How well is Python suited for developing database based applications?
> I am new to Python so please bear with me if some of the questions are
> too simple. I specifically have the following questions:
>
> 1. Is there an example of a simple data-entry application written in
> Python using a GUI interface? Something like a simple address book app
> with a listbox displaying all addresses with the ability to
> add/modify/delete.

Have a look at http://www.netpromi.com/mojoview.html
It uses gtk

> 2. There seem to be a number of GUI frameworks available? Which one is
> good for use on Windows and Linux?

There is a GTK2 port to windows I think.
pyqt is also an option, but you need to pay
to use it on windows.
wxwindows is another popular crossplatform toolkit.
Personally I recommend GTK.

> 3. Can Python apps be compiled to an exe? Can the resulting executable
> be distributed commercially?

yep.

> 4. What types of applications are not suitable to be written in
> Python?

CPU intensive apps, or low level bit manipulation is
better done in C, though you can very easily write parts in C,
or even use psyco for certain python functions.
Note python 2.3 is 25% faster than 2.2.

> I have good knowledge of many languages including C++, Assembler,
> Java, etc. My preferred development tool is Clarion currently. If
> anybody with a Clarion background can share their experience with
> Python, that will be very helpful.

Pádraig.