Pass-by-reference : Could a C#-like approach work in Python?

Stephen Horne $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 19:32:03 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:44:28 -0400, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:

>My main objection was/is that expressed by Michael Chermside today:
>this would complexify a simplicity that I consider a good feature of
>Python.  Reading Bengt Richter's lastest response, also today, I
>realize that 'ref x' would have to have much the same effect of Lisp's
>FEXPR defun keyword -- of automatically quoting rather than evaluating
>args -- although on just one rather than all.  Perhaps you should be
>accused of 'trying to Lispify Python' -- or perhaps not ;-).

I didn't know Lisp could do that. I really have to read up on Common
Lisp one of these days. And figure out Smalltalk properly. And Oberon.
And - well, the list goes on. Theres never enough time, is there :-(