win32com problems with Visible property

David Rushby woodsplitter at rocketmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:07:19 EDT 2003

"Rebecca Taylor" <jrbexbox at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f431a335.0309020839.486b6f92 at posting.google.com...
> I have been working with win32com on python for 2 years now.  I
> recently tried to modify an older script I had made which creates and
> excel workbook, fills it with data and then graphs the data.
>
> Nothing is working!
> When I try to run it I get this error:
>
> "Property '%s.%s' can not be set." % (self._username_, attr)
> AttributeError: Property 'Excel.Application.visible' can not be set."
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening?  I can't figure out if windows
> has changed or if win32all or the new python distribution is the
> problem.  Worse yet, I reinstalled my old versions of python and
> win32all and that isn't working either!

The property is named 'Visible', not 'visible'.

When makepy is run, COM identifiers become case-sensitive.  Perhaps your old
installation of win32com hadn't been makepy-ified, but the new one has?

See:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=excel+case+sensitive+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*+group:comp.lang.python.*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.python.*&safe=off&sa=G

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&frame=right&th=6eaef82c8c0d9548&seekm=1c057c8e.0307171643.486e9678%40posting.google.com#link
13