Help me choose a C++ compiler to work with Python

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Sep 21 16:38:08 EDT 2003

"Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds at spamless.rochester.rr.com> writes:

> "rhmd" <rh4170056 at juno.com> wrote in message
> news:616fccba.0309210907.1e35b92d at posting.google.com...
[...]
> This one really has me squirming in my seat. C++ isn't a very good language
> for learning just a little bit of. Compared to Python I would say the

Agreed!  But Koenig & Moo's book (Accelerated C++) is the best I've
seen for doing that.

[...]
> I wouldn't choose your C++ compiler for Python compatibility. How good is

I don't think that's unreasonable, as long as you're *aware* of all
the other issues.  Ease of use with standard Python might come out as
most important.  And on Windows, Python work with MSVC is much less of
a pain for most things than gcc (aka mingw).

[...]
> The .NET compiler has a very good debugger and much better standard
> compliance than the old 6.0 compiler, but I haven't used  lot of different
> recent vintage C++ compilers.

What *is* the current position with MSVC 7 and Python?  Anyone?  I
still haven't heard a clear story.

John