[ANN] pylint-0.2

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Tue Sep 30 08:19:22 EDT 2003

"Mark Hahn" <mark at hahnca.com> writes:

> They not only feel no need to document, they also feel no need to follow ANN
> threads they start.

Sorry, I don't have the time to follow c.l.py at the moment and that's
just today that I've been informed about this thread.

So, regarding the command line, pylint expects the name of a package
or module as argument. As a convenience, you can give to it a file
name if it's possible to guess a module name from the file's
path, using the python path. Some examples :

"pylint mymodule.py" should always works since the current working
directory is automatically added on top  of the python path

"pylint directory/mymodule.py" will work if "directory" is a python
package (i.e. has an __init__.py file) or if "directory" is in the
python path.

"pylint /whatever/directory/mymodule.py" will work if either:
  - "/whatever/directory" is in the python path
  - your cwd is "/whatever/directory"
  - "directory" is a python package and "/whatever" is in the python path
  - "directory" is a python package and your cwd is "/whatever"
  and so on...

Regarding the lack of documentation, we're pretty busy at this time at
logilab, but I hope we'll have the time to write some until the next
release... Anyway, any contribution would be welcome ;)

Hope that helps,
regards
--
Sylvain Thénault                               LOGILAB, Paris (France).