Embedded Perl or Python (XPost)

Chris rebel at removethis.rebel.com.au
Thu Sep 4 22:53:58 EDT 2003

Hi

I am posting this on both the perl and python groups

My intention is not to start a war or anything else, I would just like
some pragmatic advice.

My apologies to the python group I am not very conversant with Python at
this stage. that could change soon though.

OUTLINE

I am developing a software project where a major portion of it is to
enable script access to c++ classes

The idea is to extend the basic functionality of the program by allowing
third parties to write add ons that are called by my c++ classes as
virtual functions.

So if I call vfunction(); and an add on has been written that redefines
this function (and possibly calls the base c++ function) that it is
called correctly.

I have chosen perl and python as my preferred languages because of the
large developer base for add ons

The interpreter will only have a subset of the standard funtionality, for
example sockets will be removed.

QUESTION

Given the above which interpreter is most likely to fit my bill with the
smallest footprint ?

Thanks in advance
Chris