RAD with Python

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Mon Sep 15 06:52:12 EDT 2003

jjl at pobox.com (John J. Lee) writes:

> Steve Lamb <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> writes:
>
> > On 2003-09-13, John J. Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:
> > > I've never seen anybody give a convincing reason why GTk is a good
> > >  choice for *anything* except writing GNOME apps.
> >
> >     I run several GTK apps that don't touch Gnome:
> > Sylpheed-Claws
> > Pan
> > XChat
> >
> >     GTK != GNOME.
> [...]
>
> Yep: that's exactly what I don't understand!  *Why* did you do that?
>

> John

Don't know about others, but I do it (run gtk-not-gnome apps) because
GTK...

a) Is easy to install on a variety of commercial *NIX systems, and
getting better on MS Win** (contrast to gnome).

b) Is fast loading (contrast to wx).

c) Is GPL on all platforms (contrast to QT/KDE).

d) Is rich enough/attractive enough (contrast to tcl).

e) Is less painful to bring up than a gnome or kde app if you happen
to be starting from somewhere else (e.g., fvwm2).

So while I run pretty much everything on my trusty Linux boxes, I tend
to focus on gtk for multi-platform.

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M31 Knowledge Management
Phone: (425) 342-5601