Update to Python 2.3 on Red Hat Linux 9

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 1 01:56:31 EDT 2003

bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:

> >Can you elaborate? What is this "this" you are referring to?
> >And what do you mean by "highly automated"?
> >
> s/this/finding out all the libraries ... and compiling these for 2.3/
>
> s/highly automated/make -someopts someargs/
>
> or some setup.py stuff? distutils?

Ah... You should perhaps try to build Python yourself some time and
see how it works. Obtaining all the prerequisites is a gross PITA, as
you have to determine what header files and libraries are needed, and
then determine how your Linux distributor chose to package them - or,
if you are using a trademark Unix (Solaris, HP-UX), you even might
have to install (build, configure) the prerequisites.

Once the prerequisites are present, this is highly automated, and
distutils figures it all out.

> E.g., for 2.2 I recompiled PIL and zlib from sources on windows, and
> if there was a precanned deal, I missed it & re-invented just enough
> to get by ;-/

Windows is a different story entirely. You read and follow the
instructions in PCBuild/README, that's it.

Regards,
Martin