When passing functions as args,

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Wed Sep 17 08:14:11 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1063746594.3920.python-list at python.org>,
python at sarcastic-horse.com wrote:
>When I pass a function as an arg, like for map(...), how do I pass args to
>use for that function?
>If I have a function like this:
>
>def pretty_format(f, fmt='%0.3f'):
>    return fmt % f
>
>I want to use it with map() like this:
>
>formatted = map(pretty_format, unformatted_list)
>#exept I want fmt='%4.5f' !!!
>
>I need to figure out how to pass a non-default value for fmt.  How do I do
>that?

    map (lambda x: pretty_format (x, '%4.5f'), unformatted_list)

or

    [pretty_format (x, '%4.5f') for f in unformatted_list]

should do the trick.  Actually filling in the default
argument is not simple, and probably isn't radically better
than the above.

   Unless you're going to put more functionality into
pretty_format, or you have some other reason to centralize
your formatting,

    ['%4.5f' % x for x in unformatted_list]

might be best of all.

        Regards.        Mel.