Comments on Python Redesign

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Sep 7 15:16:54 EDT 2003

In article <p3idnVDIPrJm5caiU-KYgg at comcast.com>,
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>Perhaps Python needs two front pages or even two sites.  One for the
>IT manager types that you seem to be aiming at, who would be impressed
>by the corporate look that tends to depress me, and one for
>programmers just looking for info.  The current site, perhaps with
>more tweeks, is pretty good for the latter but not, I would agree, for
>the former.

I'm leaning toward vetoing any such plan.  One problem with the Perl
community is that it's not clear which web site to use for different
purposes -- I think we should keep www.python.org as the universal URL.

That said, there likely will be a subsection of python.org that is aimed
at managers, with a more designed look and more graphics; someone trying
to convince a specific manager could point zir into the subsection.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz