Python REST framework?

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Tue Sep 2 18:10:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 02:52:05PM -0700, Will Stuyvesant wrote:
> > [Jeremy Jones]
> > Does anyone know if there exists a Python REST (web services) framework?
> > I've googled and come up short.  I don't think it should be that hard to
> > do ...
>
> I'm interested.  But I have been looking at the discussion on the rest
> mailing list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rest-discuss/ and it
> seems they haven't found a solution for the user:password thing yet.
> Using SSL is a must, but then what?  Create some unguessable URI?
> That is not safe enough for banking applications etc.  And using
> lowlevel http stuff is also being frowned upon.
>
> Consider creating a multiuser web-based game in a RESTful way, where
> players can use a password to get access to their avatar.  I haven't
> figured out yet how to do such a thing according to REST, using Python
> Standard Library modules.

Practicality beats purity, if the only piece of state you keep is
"this guy is logged in and he authenticated as 'Bob'" then you still
get 99.99% of the cleanliness of REST.  If the workarounds to make
it 100% REST-ful actually make the solution harder to use and implement
then I'll gladly be [a little bit] non REST-ty.

The point of REST is to make things easier to do and cleaner to
understand, not just so you can name drop "REST", right?

-jackdied