Pygame

Alexander Rødseth alexanro at stud.ntnu.no
Wed Apr 14 10:31:47 EDT 2004

> Because PyGame has too many dependencies.
> Adding it to Python itself would make Python less portable.

Pygame is very portable. And adding plattform-specific modules in the past,
doesn't seem to have been a problem:

$ lynx http://docs.python.org/modindex.html --dump --nolist | grep -c "Mac"
56
$ lynx http://docs.python.org/modindex.html --dump --nolist | grep -c
"Windows"
6
$ lynx http://docs.python.org/modindex.html --dump --nolist | grep -c "IRIX"
13
$ lynx http://docs.python.org/modindex.html --dump --nolist | grep -c -i
"UNIX"
24

Even though I think your answer is very reasonable, and I agree that
portability is a good thing,
I don't quite see what would make Python so much less portable if Pygame
were added as a module.

I remember using Pippy for Palm Pilot once, and they had just chopped off
all the modules they didn't
want to port. I don't see why the same procedure couldn't be followed in
other cases as well.

- Alexander