emacs for OS X

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Apr 20 10:45:40 EDT 2004

    Tuxtrax> I found python-mode.el in the python distribution folder, but
    Tuxtrax> not only do I have no clue as to what to do with it, I can't
    Tuxtrax> find an emacs folder or a .emac file. Just the emac
    Tuxtrax> program. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If
    Tuxtrax> you have overcome this yourself I especially want to hear from
    Tuxtrax> you.

Stick it in a directory in your Emacs load-path and byte-compile it.  C-h v
load-path RET will show you what your load-path is. M-x byte-compile-file
RET will prompt you for a file to compile.  Respond with the full path to
your copy of python-mode.el.  Finally, associate .py files with python-mode
by adding something like

    (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))

to your ~/.xemacs (or ~/.xemacs/init.el, depending on XEmacs version) file.

Skip