Method for providing a trail period on a program

Larry Bates lbates at swamisoft.com
Wed Apr 14 16:40:25 EDT 2004

My post has gotten some really varied responses.
I've been writing software for over 30 years
so I know that there is no "fool-proof" way
of doing what I want.  But I thought someone
may have come up with an "acceptable" solution.
I contribute to this newsgroup on a regular
basis and thought I would at least ask.

I find the idea that you can give the software
away and charge for support an interesting one.
If you write REALLY good software with REALLY
good documentation that provides REALLY good
tracing and debugging support (so users can
track down their own problems), what are you
going to charge for?

The reason I wanted to put a trial period on
my software was that I may have the opportunity
to place it on the CDROM with a hardware device
that is being sold.  I would like every end
user to have the opportunity of trying out my
add-on package.  I am however, not prepared to
let them run it forever for free.  If it provides
value to them, I believe they should purchase a
license.  This may put me in the minority on
a Python site, but that's the way I feel.

Regards,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

news:407CF4F0.4020604 at yahoo.com.au...