Distributing a Python based application on Linux

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 8 12:24:42 EDT 2004

kramakrishnan at novell.com (Ramki) writes:

>Hi !!

>I have written an install script to deploy some of my product rpms.
>The install script does OS Version Check, OS Memory check, logging the
>status of install into a log file amongst other things.

>Now the size of my product rpms is around 3 MB. If I am to distribute
>Python along with the install, it is taking around 12 MB totally (the
>python gz tar is around 9 MB), which is not ideal.

>Is there way I can avoid this by distributing only the bare minimum
>Python related binary along with my rpms ?

Many versions of Linux have Python already so it may not be a problem.  Maybe
someone could concoct a Perl script that checks if Python is on the machine
and if not downloads it from a suitable location (either to a local directory
or to the system depending on need/access).  That way, only people who aren't
hip enough to have Python installed get penalised!

Eddie