Difficulty Finding Python Developers

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Thu Apr 15 11:04:15 EDT 2004

"Ville Vainio" <ville at spammers.com> wrote in message
news:du7pta9l4s0.fsf at amadeus.cc.tut.fi...
> Offering some comebacks in advance...

>     >> Mention that when you do find a
>     >> Python programmer he'll probably be better than your average perl
or
>     >> Java programmer.
>
>     Peter> And here I would ask, "Why do you say that?  If there are
>     Peter> so few of them around, how could anyone know whether
>     Peter> they're better or worse?  And wouldn't the best programmers
>
> I guess the braindeadness of perl can be argued as an indication of
> the quality of programmers - if the Perl people are unable to see how
> much the language stinks, they might be lacking in other areas of
> programming also.

It's not a problem of being brain dead - it's a problem that Perl's
philosophy encourages "cowboy coders" that enjoy the technical
wizardry of doing the same things different ways. Python's philosophy
encourages you to learn what you need quickly so you can pay
attention to the job.

> Java OTOH is the lowest common denominator, pretty much everyone knows
> it, which drags the average quality down.

I thought that was COBOL. The arguement against Java is very simple:
It takes twice as much coding (that is, keystrokes) to do something in
Java as it does in Python. There is no evidence that the additional
*security* from static typing is worth the additional cost of the coding
effort, and there is mounting evidence (but no credible studies I'm aware
of) that it isn't.

John Roth