slightly OT: BUT NEEDs to be said

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue Apr 6 09:38:00 EDT 2004

Nomen Nescio <nobody at dizum.com> wrote in message news:<4078daf265c69e9353e8af72542da703 at dizum.com>...

> I think it would be great for Python.org/people behind Python
> to adopt this as an official mascot and DROP the god awful
> references to Monty Pythons's Flying Circus. It is the later
> which is causing a slow take up and reluctance of many
> individuals using Python.

PHB #1: "Python was proposed as an implementation technology for
         the project."
PHB #2: "I didn't find Quest for the Holy Grail funny at all.
         Just didn't get it."
PHB #1: "Scratch Python, then - do it in Java instead!"

> MPFC is a very very dated concept and because of it's strange
> whacky 'humour' has dubious extreme and loony left wing
> allegiences is not a good backdrop for Python. You should never
> bring politics into your product.

I think *you* did that, actually.

> Understand that in the UK a lot of people don't find MPFC
> amusing,

In my experience, people who make such overt generalisations about
British culture don't tend to be British, but instead turn out to be
people trying to flaunt some kind of British "credentials".

>          and many of the 'comedians' have become extremely
> dispised (like Michael Palin who is universally recognised as
> a figure of great nauseum) and have become objects of ridicule.

Universally ridiculed in your clique? Is this what you spend your time
doing these days, Mr Campbell [1]? ;-)

Paul

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3028250.stm