Are line continuations needed?

Christopher Koppler klapotec at chello.at
Wed Apr 7 13:53:00 EDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:05:29 GMT, wallacethinmintr at eircom.net (Russell
Wallace) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Python lets you continue a single logical line across more than one
>physical line, either by putting a \ at the end or letting it happen
>automatically with an incomplete infix operator.
>
>I'm wondering how often is this feature needed? Would there be any
>problems if it weren't part of the language?

I don't have any ready examples, but I do occasionally need it, if
only for readability porpoises, or more often to fit a line to a
certain length limit. If a parenthetical expression will work, and
doesn't look stranger (really can't think of a case), I'll use that.

But problems there'll surely be - with legacy code compatibility.

>--
>"Sore wa himitsu desu."
Not really it isn't ;-)

--