Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Paul Rubin http
Thu Apr 15 17:39:44 EDT 2004

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:
> I would put it slightly differently.
>
> With Python, you can learn a useful subset of the language in a weekend.
> Control flow, statement syntax, and how to define and use functions.
> Assuming you're already familiar with the concepts of classes and
> exceptions (and just need to learn how python implements them), those
> are probably another weekend.

I think anyone using Python in a serious production project has to be
ready to extend or debug the library modules and/or write new C
extensions.  There are just too many surprising little gaps in the
standard library and you run into them when you least expect it.  And
the C API is quite cumbersome and not something a typical programmer
can really come up to speed on in a weekend.  If there's already
programmers on staff who can deal with that stuff, then a new person
joining doesn't have to worry about it.  But if the project is calling
for a hired gun to show up for 3 months, chances are they want someone
who's already expert and doesn't need ANY ramp-up time.