allowing braces around suites

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Aug 28 12:36:41 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-28, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> IMO, the only non-ugly, non-hack solution would be to have
>> another set of delimters that are used as tuple-constructors so
>> tha the syntax for a literal tuple, a literal list, and a
>> literal dictionary are consistent.

[...]

> I think 'commas makes tuples when the commas don't mean anything else'
> should stay, though, because somedict[x, y] or a,b=b,a depend on that,
> and I find them just too sweet to lose!-)
>
> This of course is all pretty hypothetical, just like the idea
> of introducing a new set of delimiters -- won't happen in
> Python, not even in 3.0.  Just musing about some details of
> language design.

Mostly it won't happen because there just aren't enough
delimiters in any common characer set for everything --
especially if you want indexing and function-calling to have
postfix-operator-delimters that are unique from all of the
aroundfix-literal-contsructor-delimiters.

Or something like that.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm a GENIUS! I
                                  at               want to dispute sentence