Python secure?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Aug 15 21:17:23 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-16, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

>>> Yes.  Anyone who recovers your "code" and/or uses it will be
>>> in violation of copyright
>>
>> I don't see how decompiling is a copyright violation.  If I
>> buy a copy of a book, I'm pretty sure I can translate it into
>> another language if I want to form my own use.
>
> It is illegal for you to walk in my front door when I'm not home, take
> my silverware, and leave with it.

True, but I don't see what that has to do with a discussion on
copyright law.  We were not discussing silverware theft, we
were discussing whether decompiling code is a copyright
violation.  I said I don't think it is. I may be wrong, but
anecdotes about getting your silver stolen in NYC don't refute
my claim. Citing the statute or case law regarding decompiling
object code would.

> I am basing this statement on the laws applicable to where I
> live (New York City), but am reasonably sure it's pretty much
> the same in most places.
>
> That being true, it's still a good idea for me to lock the
> door when I leave the house.

I suppose so, but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What PROGRAM are
                                  at               they watching?