Popular Python projects with lots of pure Python code

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Aug 10 02:50:31 CEST 2004

> So I am trying to come up with a list of projects I can use to get my
> stats from.  the stdlib is a no-brainer.  Also plan to use Docutils.
> But beyond those most of the big Python projects I can think
> of have a ton of C code which is of no use to me.  I don't need to be
> able to run it, just going to be compiling to .py files.
>
> Any suggestions?

How big is 'big'?  The 1.0 SpamBayes release is pure Python; the .py files
have 42,495 \n characters, so about that many lines.  This includes comments
and the like, of course.  The source in CVS HEAD is probably a little bit
larger, although it also includes one C file.

Using the same naïve line counting method, twisted has something like
320,000 lines of Python.  There's some C, but you can run a fair chunk of
twisted without it (at least last time I tried), so it's non-essential.

=Tony Meyer