IDLE does not start on WinXP

Russell Blau russblau at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 09:11:06 EDT 2004

"George Carman" <gj_carman at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2568.1093726031.5135.python-list at python.org...
> Please excuse the following mailing, I do not have access to a news server
> and cannot post to comp.lang.python.

>>> python-list at python.org is comp.lang.python
True

> I recently installed Python 2.3.4 on WinXP.  Command line interpreter
works
> fine but the IDLE GUI will not start.  When run from a commandline I get
the
> following traceback.  Both WinXP and McAfee firewalls are disabled.  Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.

Since the traceback indicates that the error arose in a command related to
socket communication, I think the first thing you should check is your
firewall software. You should allow connections to 127.0.0.1 (the loopback
to your own machine).  (If you've installed XP Service Pack 2, you now have
firewall software whether you knew it or not.)

--
I don't actually read my hotmail account, but you can replace hotmail with
excite if you really want to reach me.