How big can a Python program be?

vronskij at post.sk vronskij at post.sk
Wed Aug 18 10:19:19 EDT 2004

Peter Hickman <peter at semantico.com> wrote in message news:<412204d5$1$28243$afc38c87 at news.easynet.co.uk>...
> vronskij at post.sk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A C program can be hundreds of thousands lines of code big.
> > C++ millions.
> >
> > How about Python?
> >
> > Suppose , you are a sole programmer (lonewolf). How many lines can one handle?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > jan bodnar
>
> Are you suggesting that a solo programmer wrote a multi million line C++
> program? If not then what has this to do with 'How many lines can one handle?'
>
> The application I am currently working on has 75,000 lines across some 600
> files. But I suspect that the line count is higher when you include the various
> libraries. So I am handling 75,000 lines in some sense, is this what you mean?
> Or are you talking about the number of lines per file (average 125) or perhaps
> lines per method?

Heh,

> Are you suggesting that a solo programmer wrote a multi million line C++
> program? If not then what has this to do with 'How many lines can one handle?'

No way. This was just another question. One  programmer told me that
he
can roughly handle max 10 000 lines  in C language. I was curious
about Python. I always hear that Python can be used on larger projects
than e.j. PERL because it is Object Oriented and cleanly designed.
What is a larger project? Mumbers revail more.

> The application I am currently working on has 75,000 lines across some 600
> files.

This is probably team work. It's helpful for me to know figures. When
you start a project it is useful to know the limitations of a
language. Visual Basic is reported to fail on larger projects.